An award for outstanding contributions to the field of textile conservation by an individual or entity that has promoted, defended, and worked in support of the importance of textiles and their need for preservation.
Nominations must meet the following criteria.
- Individual nominees must be or have been a Professional Associate or a Fellow of the American Institute for the Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works. Dedication to the organization over their years of membership will be taken into consideration. Those currently serving on AIC Boards/Committees may not receive awards during their tenure.
Note: Nominations may be resubmitted for three years running.
How to Nominate:
- The Proposer (formerly called Nominator) must be an Associate, a Professional Associate or a Fellow of the American Institute for the Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works. The Proposer completes the Nomination Form and also provides a written statement of the nominee’s commitment to the field in areas such as research, analysis, conservation, teaching, and support of the textile conservation community.
- The Proposer also sends a copy of the the Nomination Form to a Sponsor and has that Sponsor return their separate written statement (providing evidence of the nominee’s commitment to the field in areas such as research, analysis, conservation, teaching, and support of the textile conservation community) to the Proposer in a PDF format.
- The Sponsor must be an Associate, a Professional Associate or a Fellow of the American Institute for the Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works.
- The Proposer submits the completed Nomination Form with the two separate written statements (all 3 in PDF format) to Ruth Seyler via email at firstname.lastname@example.org (in the email Subject line: 2015 TSG Achievement Award Nomination: Name of Nominee) by January 15. An email confirmation of receipt will be sent to Proposers.
Achievement Award Committee
The committee will be made up of four TSG members, three voting members and an alternate. They will be responsible for selecting awardees that have shown dedication, commitment, leadership and continuous contribution to the field of Textile Conservation. Each committee member will serve staggered four-year terms with one new member chosen and one finishing their tenure each year. The first year of their term, the member will serve as alternate and the last year as the committee chair. During this period, the members themselves will not be eligible to be nominated or to nominate a candidate.
- 2015 Harold F. Mailand
- 2014 Patsy Orlofsky
- 2013 Leslie Melville Smith
- 2012 R. Bruce Hutchinson*
- 2011 Mary Ballard
- 2010 Jane Merritt
About the Textile Specialty Group
The Textile Specialty Group (TSG) was organized in 1982 to support the professional development of textile conservators. The group’s 290 members include conservators working at museums, in private practice, universities, regional centers, and training programs and provide a valuable professional network for textile conservation. Textile Specialty Group members focus on a wide range of subjects, materials research and analysis, case studies, techniques, costume, tapestry and upholstery conservation, and archaeological and ethnographic issues. Learn more about TSG >> Other Resources